When it was time to register for Drew we decided to get a highly recommended baby gate. It ended up not working with our stairway because of the type of railing we have so AJ had to come up with an alternate plan. It was getting a little too hard to stick things in front of the stairs like a giant sheet of plywood. 🙂
Of course, now that I’m looking for the before photo I realize I must have deleted it in a moment of stupidity. Well, picture a dark brown hollow core door. You know, the kind Home Depot practically pays YOU to take off their shelf because they are so ugly and boring. We had these in the master bedroom for closet doors and AJ repurposed it by cutting it to fit the dimensions of the stairway and securing it with two hinges.
I decided to cover the entire thing in maps from the same atlas that I used to cover the trivet. I put Modge Podge on the front and back of the gate and then kept covering the entire thing in maps and then covered the maps in Modge Podge. It’s not perfect. I definitely need to take a razor to the edge of the gate to clean up the paper but it works and Drew hasn’t fallen down the stairs yet (probably my #1 fear EVER).
AJ then hooked two locks up to the railing to make it extra secure… except our child seems to be a genius at figuring out these latches and has figured out how to unhook the top one, the bottom one is quite a bit tighter so he hasn’t been able to do that yet. We are watching him like a hawk.