This seems like it’s been the year of exterior updates. It’s incredible how much better the house looks than when we first began this process updating our exterior and still we have this running list of things we still want to do to the front of our house. One of the things that’s been on the list for some time has been DIY shutters. I wanted a similar design to what my parents have on their house. The desire to finish up the front of our house lead to the project I’m featuring today… and because it’s $30 Thursday I’ll show you how to get her done for under $30 a shutter!
I love the way This Old House magazine breaks down their projects for their readers so I figured I’d give it a try!
Time commitment: 45 – 60 minutes per shutter including cutting, nailing and painting
Cost: $19 per shutter (this depends on the size of the shutter)
12 wide inch pine boards x 10 feet long to fit two shutters per board
1.5 inch wide pine board x 10 ft long (you will need two of these for every one 12 inch wide board)
1. Measure the length of your window. You will want a shutter that is exactly the same length as your window or a quarter inch or so longer. Purchase the necessary boards (see above):
2. Measure your 12 inch wide board and the corresponding trim to be the length of the shutter that you desire. Each skinny piece will run up and down the entire side of the shutter. Cut those pieces.
3. Measure the space in between the two trim boards after you place them on the outside of the shutter.
4. Nail your pieces in place.
5. Paint your shutter with exterior paint. I used Behr Marquee Exterior Paint in Club Navy to match our front door. This paint is incredible… it goes on so well!
6. Screw your shutter into the house.
I love the way the shutters look on the house, my only regret was that the whole house wasn’t done right now! 🙂 The make the space feel so much more finished.
Here’s the view with the one window done… time was short this week to build and finish the other four. I’ll definitely be updating you when they are all done… doesn’t it make a great difference? We are slowly but surely adding character to the exterior of our home.
This next photo really shows off what a difference the shutter makes on the porch:
If you want to check out what the house looks like now with all the shutters CLICK HERE.
Make sure you check out my fabulous co-hosts’ projects!
I’ve never seen a wire coat hanger look so cute as Shayna’s made it look, to see her hanger click here:
April has given us a super simple beachy craft… I absolutely love this!