I am SO excited to share today’s project with you!
We made a starfish American flag for the fence surrounding our property.
It’s almost embarrassing how easy this was. Here are the steps:
1. Purchase 13 fence pickets at Home Depot. Have them cut them in half. (Each 8ft picket is only $1!)
2. Purchase starfish. I got mine at Christmas Tree Shops (I love that tacky store for all the fabulous finds that are tucked in there!)
3. Arrange the starfish in the pattern you want so you know how large to make your navy square.
4. Paint every other board with your red and white. I darkened the Country Chic Paint color Devotion with a little bit of their Dark Roast to make a darker red for a more vintagey feel. I then used Country Chic Paint’s color Cheesecake, more of an off-white, for the opposite stripes. The off white coordinated much better with the starfish that were a dirty white.
5. Secure the pickets to the back with two pieces of 1 inch wide craft wood, found at Home Depot, or have your husband do it and have him cursing you for giving him a project where he doesn’t have the correct boards or correct length nails for the back :).
When you place the stars on the flag make sure you have positioned all 13 exactly how you want them so that you’ll be sure they fit. Then simply use wood glue or a strong adhesive to secure them. Make sure you glue them while the flag is lying flat, they’ll secure much better to the wood. I initially tried a glue gun but once it was outside the glue from the glue gun didn’t work in the high outdoor temperatures.
I love how it looks on our fence! It is the perfect mixture of coastal meets patriotic!
This project was part of the Summer Celebration Series… you’ve got to see these other fun projects that the other bloggers were sharing today.