The survey results are in and the winner of the $30 gift card has been emailed. If your name is Marianne, check your email now. 🙂
I loved reading all of your responses; thank you for how gracious and kind you were! It is so affirming to read the same answer again and again on questions and have it reflect the direction I want the blog to move in. Nothing major is changing, and if it did I don’t think I would be true to myself . These changes are all based off the survey and my own thoughts but none of these changes will happen until after the move because let’s be honest, I can barely keep my house clean or our fridge stocked while trying to manage packing and other commitments. Maybe some of you are Super Women but I clearly am not.
SEVEN CHANGES YOU’LL SEE COMING UP
1. Regular posting dates and times will be Tuesday and Thursdays by 10am… and if I have more to share that week it’ll be Saturday mornings by 10am. There will be some weeks where I add a special post because I’m part of a group home tour or something like it but 90% of the time I’ll stick to this schedule.
2. I’m going to attempt to make each post visually easier to read with a larger font and better, brighter photos.
3. Once a quarter I’m going to do a “Day in the Life” post. I was surprised at how many of you wanted to see more of this. You’ll get to see how we are on a regular day which will probably bore some of you to tears and others, like me who love glimpses into others mundane daily lives will love this. 🙂
4. The next home isn’t small so my little tagline of “living large in a small space” is going to be retired. Even after renting out the room above the garage we will have about double the space we currently have. As I have in our current house I’m going to be focusing on the best use of space in our home for our family. I hope in reading it, no matter what size your home is, you will be able to identify with what we do in our space.
5. Another thing I was surprised about was the large amount of you who wanted to see more of the area we live in. Manchester-by-the-Sea and the rest of Massachusetts’ North Shore is stunning so I’ll break down some of the great places to visit or shop around here. If you never plan on coming out to Massachusetts then I plan on having plenty of eye-candy homes (large and small) that you can get some inspiration from for your own place whether you live in Alaska or Orlando.
6. I will have better follow-through. When I tell you I’m going to post about something, I will. For those of you who specifically asked about my parents’ cottage flip… well, it’s not done yet. There have been kinks in the schedule but we will be up there in a couple of weeks so I promise you an update on that.
7. I will have more real estate related posts. Some of you probably groaned but I think (I hope!) these will be interesting and even really helpful. Before I even met AJ he, on a teacher’s salary, had started purchasing investment properties. I’m excited to tell you some of the ins and outs about it because it is such a great source of additional (and somewhat passive) income for us.
THINGS THAT’LL STAY THE SAME
1. Everything else. 🙂
WHAT’S UP NEXT?
Have any of you ever read Shauna Niequist’s devotional SAVOR? I love anything she writes but she wrote something on the July 23 entry that struck me and made me realize exactly the direction I want this blog to head in. Let me quote her: “…entertaining isn’t a competion. It’s an act of love, if you let it be. You can twist it into anything you want- a way to show off your house, to compete with your friends, to earn love and approval. Or you can decide that anytime you open your front door, it’s an act of love. You can decide that every time people gather around your table, your goal is nourishment, not neurotic proving.” If I have to choose one thing for this blog, one goal moving forward, it is for it to be a place of nourishment both for myself and for you every time a post is published. Even if you are never able to visit me at our home or sit around our table munching on cookies I hope you’ll take away something valuable from this blog.