I’ve heard from some of you during the survey that you wanted to know how I get a lot done during the day with two little kids, without my kids hating me by the end of the day. I promised a day in the life post. Well, here’s what happened last Thursday. Everything will change once AJ goes back to school but for the most part our day is filled with playing, walks, errands, naps and glamorous wildly fun tasks during nap time. 🙂
I woke up early went downstairs and did my devotions in our pink family room.
Elle woke up screaming for me so I raced up to get her before she woke everyone else in the house up.
Drew woke up and then I let them play together while watching Veggies Tales I put away some boxes and unloaded the dishes in the kitchen.
Breakfast outside on the patio (Trader Joe’s organic toast with their peanut butter and jelly) while AJ went for a run.
AJ took the kids for a walk outside while I cleaned up after breakfast and started putting away some of the clothes that were all loose after the move.
The kids came back from their walk and they played for a little bit and they I popped them in the tub while I shaved my legs. I got them all cleaned up, dried off and dressed Elle (Drew picked out his own clothes and dressed himself). They played in their rooms while I jumped in the shower. (Yes, that is a monstrous pile of laundry I tackled later in the day.)
We left for Modell’s and Trader Joe’s to run some errands. I always try to group my errands in places that are in similar locations. I grabbed some new running shoes with a coupon for only $35.99 (I’m very proud of how little I paid!).
Once we returned home from our errands the kids and I went on a quick walk. A prospective tenant for the master suite was coming over to see what the noise was like with two kids so for the next hour we did stuff around the house normally, and at a normal volume, so that the tenant could see if living with two kids would be too loud. I unpacked and rearranged Elle’s room…
… while Elle did this in Drew’s room. He’s already taught her all about lining up cars. 🙂
After the prospective tenant left around 1:30pm I put the kids down for their nap.
The glorious quiet lasted for about two hours while I took pictures for the blog post showing the exterior of the house and dealt with setting up the internet and paying my Target bill.
I honestly don’t remember what we did after the kids woke up from their nap… but at about 5pm ish I started marinating the meat for dinner.
After dinner we cleaned up, played, read stories, did baths and got the kids ready for bed at 8:30pm (it’s always later during summer).
This post just shows you one day in our life. It’s showing a day where I have to do unpacking instead of any fun decorating projects but the general principles are the same as a normal day. Some of my tips:
- I make sure to have my to-do list set before nap time or before any time I let them watch TV so that I can be focused and crank out what I need to do. I know I will have anywhere from an hour and a half to three hours during nap time so I prioritize my tasks in order of importance. I have the same kind of list in my head as soon as the kids go to bed.
- I try to have a running list of things in my head for the kids to do (cars, puzzles, books, doll house, etc) so that I can suggest an activity if I need to do something like unload the dishwasher.
- AJ and I try to have the kitchen and house cleaned up (most nights) before the kids go to bed so that we don’t have to use the valuable time they are sleeping to be cleaning. We have tried to have them clean with us so that we can train them now to clean up after they make messes. Trust me, this doesn’t always happen.
- I almost always run my errands with the kids. I started doing this when they were little and they handle almost any place we have to go pretty well… except if I need to go clothes shopping for myself. 🙂
- The absolute best thing I can do to have an organized day is set my schedule and to-do list at the beginning of the day. It makes the whole day go more smoothly.
I’ve partnered with some other moms who are sharing how they get stuff done during the day:
Day 1 Mamas:
Day 2 Mamas: