Hello! I am so glad to have you here reading Migonis Home! Here’s a snippet of who I am… some of which you’ll see in the page “Story of Us”:
1. This blog has been my therapy since having my son, Drew, three and a half years ago. After two months of maternity leave I returned to work for four months… and since being home this blog has provided a creative outlet, a place to interact with adults and a place to feel like “me” apart from being a mom.
2. I love reading. I can get lost in books… especially on the beach. I love Jan Karon’s Mitford series, David Baldacci and John Grisham books and Emily Giffin’s are fun light reads (not always clean, though…). I just finished one of Dave Ramsey’s books and couldn’t stop talking about it.
3. I teach Middle and High School girls Sunday School at our church. I adore that age! This fall we are going to be talking about the big questions of Christianity (yikkes!), managing money as a teen and practical implications of knowing Jesus in everyday life.
4. AJ and I dream of going to Italy together… wouldn’t a wine tasting trip be dynamite? We toured Greece together a year after we were married and it was incredible… traveling hasn’t been the same since having children. Imagine that. 🙂
5. I run. I wouldn’t say I’m super fast or that I particularly enjoy it (unlike my running obsessed, marathoner husband) but I do it fairly consistently to stay fit. To make runs more interesting I’ll usually bring my iPhone or little camera with me to snap photos (see #dailyrunphoto for some of my pics). I’d love to run a 5K this year where I get a faster per mile time than I did in high school (7:30).
6. AJ and I own rental properties and recently just purchased a 15 family, fully-rented, building. We’ve definitely learned things over time and the income allows me to stay at home with the kids, although we aren’t getting rich off of it now, it’s more of a longer term project with the goal of AJ being able to leave teaching at some point.
7. We live in one of the most expensive towns in Massachusetts. There is a little ranch house with an 80s kitchen and 1950s baths for sale two houses down from us. It’s listed for $595,000. Yep. You read that right, friends. We bought our house for significantly less than that during the recession but higher prices in this town mean less money for us to do our improvements at a whirlwind speed. I’m starting to be okay with that though… it let’s us figure out exactly what we want over time!
8. Once the kids get into school I’d love to flip houses. AJ and I are both real estate agents so it’d be a natural fit. Over the past few years we’ve built up a list of contractors that we trust so we’d already have some go-to people. We flipped our first house immediately after marrying and I’m itching to do it again even though that time it was pretty stressful doing it on top of full-time jobs.
9. I’m scared to death of heights, dogs make me nervous and I despise speaking in public (although I’ll prepare like a wild woman and do it).
10. I love baking. I pretty much doesn’t matter what it is. Cooking is more of a challenge for me but since we got married five years ago I’d say I’ve improved dramatically (although, I can’t imagine why AJ doesn’t want cereal for dinner a few nights a week. :)).